City of Laconia Public Works Department
Electronics and computers have evolved into one of the fastest growing waste streams. Electronic waste is of concern largely due to the toxicity and carcinogenicity of some of its substances, if processed improperly. Toxic substances in electronic waste may include lead, mercury, and cadmium. As a result, the State of New Hampshire has implemented a law stating that "No person shall dispose of any video display device in any solid waste landfill or incinerator in New Hampshire after July 1, 2007."
For additional information, see the NHDES Fact Sheet on Proper Management of Cathode Ray Tubes from Computer Monitors and Televisions
The City of Laconia E-Waste program enables residents to dispose of their electronic waste for a fee. Other alternative means of getting rid of unwanted computers and TV's may include:
- Donating the device to someone who needs it.
- Find out if the vendor that sells you a new device has a take back program for your old device.
Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Fees:
- $10 each - CPU's, VCR's, DVD Players, Printers, Scanners, Radios, Fax Machines, Home Copiers, Small Stereos
- $20 each - Computer Monitors, Laptop Computers, Small to Medium TV's
- $30 each - Large TV's (Greater than 21"), Large Stereo Equipment